Having excess belly fat can be deadly. The effects of excess visceral fat include an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, increased chance of heart disease, and an increased chance of suffering a stroke. Unfortunately, there is no quick solution or pill that you can take to lose belly fat quickly. However, there are plenty of quick tips you can implement to help increase your chances of shedding belly fat.
Exercising Belly Fat Away
- Luckily, belly fat responds well to aerobic exercise. Running, biking, swimming, and any other activity that gets your heart rate up can help blast belly fat.
- Additionally, raising your heart rate for at least 30 minutes 3 times a week can help slow down the rate of belly fat gains.
- After increasing the amount of aerobic exercise you do, begin to do abdominal exercises. This include things like bicycle crunches, planks, and cross crunches.
- High intensity interval training can also help you lose belly fat. This type of training, also known as HIIT, is a workout where you do a high intensity exercise for a set amount of time (usually around 5 minutes), and follow it up with a low intensity exercise.
Dietary Tricks to Help Lose Belly Fat
The most important area to tackle when trying to lose belly fat is your diet. There are some simple changes that you can make that will help promote overall belly fat loss.
- Increase how much protein you eat. As you get older, your body produces more insulin. Unfortunately, insulin promotes fat storage. A diet that is high in protein can help protect you against insulin resistance, and decrease your rate of fat storage.
- Consume more vinegar. While it may sound gross, it has proven benefits. A 2009 Japanese study showed that consuming one to two tablespoons of vinegar daily can significantly decrease belly fat1. The theory is that the acetic acid contained in vinegar helps produce proteins that burn fat.
- Drink green tea. Green tea contains antioxidants called catechins. Studies have shown that individuals who drink around 24 ounces of green daily are more likely to lose belly fat while exercising2.
- Eat more fiber. A 2011 study showed that individuals who increase their soluble fiber intake by 10 grams daily had an overall reduction of belly fat level3. 10 grams of fiber equals a cup of green peas, half a cup of pinto beans, or two small apples.
- Eat a diet rich in whole grains. Whole grains change how your body responds to glucose and insulin, and helps your body melt fat faster.
- Eat breakfast! Eating breakfast within an hour of waking up helps keep your insulin levels steady, and can boost your metabolism4.
Other Tips to Help Belly Fat Disappear
- Relax. You can do this through yoga, meditation, or any other relaxation technique. You want to reduce your levels of cortisol, which is the stress hormone. High levels of cortisol are linked to excess belly fat.
- Get enough sleep. A 2010 study showed that getting five hours of sleep or less a night increases levels of stomach fat5. You should also wake up and go to bed around the same time each night. Variable sleep schedules confuse your internal clock, which can cause your body to release hormones like cortisol.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.